Sharing information from parent dashboards to child dashboards is a topic that has been gaining steam over the past 6 months and is a great way of increasing performance and enhancing your end users experience. What we are going to cover in this post is how to incorporate child dashboards in parent by accessing the child from InfoView using built in functionality called document download. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of documentation of what document download is and how it is used so here is how I understand it to work. Document download works along the same lines as OpenDocument but the difference lies in that OpenDocument will pull in a resource that is inside the OpenDocument frame. Document download on the other hand will only pull the resource itself. This post will give you the basics on how to implement this functionality into Xcelsius.
Document Download Syntax
The basic link for document download is as follows:
Parameters that will need to be used:
- This tells the type of document that you are pulling. Use Flash to pull a SWF file.
- sIDType=<InfoObjectID OR CUID>
- This is optional and only should be used if you want to choose the CUID as the iDocID.
- This is the ID for the document based on whether you use the sIDType or not. If you use sIDType with CUID then you use the CUID here, if not then just use the InfoObjectID.
- Sending the session through the link will allow us to download the SWF.
Here is the example of what a completed document download link would look like without the token attached:
Connecting with Xcelsius
Connecting document download into Xcelsius can easily be done in three easy steps.
1. Add a SWF Loader or Slide Show component to your canvas
2. Add the logic to generate your document download link
- Object ID
*NOTE: The best way to get the token is to use flash variables and pull the CELogonToken in from InfoView and put it into a cell in your Xcelsius SWF
3. Map your SWF Loader or Slide Show component to the document download link.
The biggest hurdle in the entire process is getting the document download syntax correct. Once that is good to go, you should be able to complete this process in no time. The only thing that you will need to remember, is that you will need a session token to access the child dashboard using document download. Here is a screen shot of the final product.
Free Web Intelligence Best Practices Guide
We put together a Best Practices Guide for Web Intelligence Development that includes over 20 pages of tips and techniques for developing business-ready reports. Plus we'll show you the common functions that have a negative impact on performance, how to create interactive reports, the best ways to standardize look-and-feel, and much more!
GET YOUR FREE COPY OF THE GUIDE TODAY!